|Indigo Lantern Power Staff|
|Official name:||Indigo Power Staff|
|First Appearance:||Green Lantern Vol 4#25 (January, 2008)|
|Used by:||Indigo Tribe|
The Indigo Tribe Power Staff is a complicated device similar to a Power Battery that resembles a wooden staff. It "preserves" the rare energy of the Indigo Light from the Emotional Spectrum. It was harnessed as a weapon by the Indigo Tribe, who waited in the shadows for the fulfillment of the Blackest Night Prophecy so that they could take part and defeat the coming darkness. The first noted encounter with a power staff was after the Sinestro Corps War when a Green Lantern and Sinestro Corpsmen battled on a planet where the Indigo Tribe were. The Green Lantern was fatally wounded and Indigo used the energy of her Power Ring to give him a merciful death and later used it to turn the Sinestro Corpsmen's Qwardian Power Ring's energy against himself, thus forcing him to flee.
The Blackest NightEdit
Indigo Power Staff was first fully seen during the The Blackest Night, when the Black Lantern Corps rose from the dead. These resurrected beings attacked the living in order to claim the emotional energy they felt. During their assault on Earth, the heroes of the world were struggling to combat this foe when Hal Jordan and Barry Allen were aided by a mysterious alien woman called Indigo-1 and her comrade Munk where they demonstrated their power of separating the connection between the dead to their Black Lantern Power Ring. Later, Munk used the energy of his Power Staff to assist the Green Lanterns on Oa during an assault by the Black Lanterns who sought to claim the Green Lantern Central Power Battery. When the various Lantern Corps united to find and destroy the Black Lantern Central Power Battery, they discovered and their combined light had little affect on it. Thus, the Guardian Ganthet decided to activate a hidden programming within all power rings that duplicated them and sent them to find new wielders so they could increase their numbers against the Black Lanterns. An Indigo Tribe Power Ring was duplicated from Indigo's Ring and recruited Ray Palmer, turning him into a member of the Indigo Tribe. As such, he also gained an Indigo Power Staff.
Indigo Energy Conduit: The staffs channel the power of compassion for a variety of uses.
- Energy Blasts: The staffs can fire indigo energy blasts.
- Force-Field Generation: The staffs can create forcefields to protect the bearer and others nearby. The staff can protect the user from the hazards of the void. An atmosphere appropriate to the staff wielder's biology is created inside the force-field, while body temperature is maintained and waste products are removed. Gravitational stresses which could cause injury are stabilized for the staff wielder.
- Energy Constructs: The staffs can form constructs of indigo energy. The primary function of the Power Staff is to provide a weapon capable of transforming the wearer's thoughts into physical constructs through the wearer's mastery of compassion. An Indigo Tribesman can create any particular items or construct that they can imagine as long as they have the mastery of compassion necessary to will it into existence. The constructs are made out of indigo energy, which is a tangible form of pure compassion, and they exist only as long as an indigo lantern is fueling it with their mastery of compassion. Items created by the rings are not indestructible and are only as powerful as the inspired compassion of the indigo lantern creating them.
- Phasing: The Power staffs allows the wearer to pass through certain solid objects, such as walls. Which objects that are not penetrable are not known, but it may depend upon the strength of the wearer's compassion and the density of the object's molecular structure.
- Environmental Playback: Upon request, the power staff can recreate a holographic environment based on data in its memory banks. The wielder can observe events in a ghostlike state, but the wielder cannot alter the outcome of the playback. All objects in the playback will appear in the full spectrum of colors, regardless of the wielder's level of expertise creating simulacrum's. The power staff will automatically end the playback if outside interference warrants the wielder's undivided attention.
- Invisibility & Light Refraction: A staff wielder can render him/her/itself invisible by willing the staff to bend light waves around his/her/its form, as well as that of the power staff. Presumably, a similar action allows an experienced staff wielder to create objects of colors other than indigo.
- Energy Twin: The power staff allows the wearer to create an "energy twin" of his/her/itself that can travel far faster than the staff wielder's physical form. While the energy twin is active the staff wielder remains motionless, his/her/its life force needed to guide the twin. The twin can not alter its surroundings and may only be perceived by the another ring wielder as an indigo, ghostlike image. Any knowledge gained by the twin is transferred back to the wielder's physical form upon recontact with the body. As a rule, a wielder can not create actual, independent duplicates of him/her/itself, as the staff cannot create life.
- Energy Absorption: The staff can absorb and store most other energies. Doing so does NOT replenish the normal store of energy the staff has. A staff that needs recharging but contained a store of electricity could only discharge that electricity, for example.
- Flight: By the manipulation of anti-gravitons and directed molecular movement, the staff allows the user to fly at incredible speeds. In atmosphere, an Indigo Tribesman has been known to fly as fast as Mach 10 by creating an aerodynamic envelope around his body. Towing others, usually within a bubble, his speed is limited to the twice the speed of sound or 1440 mph. In space,an Indigo Lantern speed can be significantly greater and has been known to approach 80% of lightspeed in normal space. Flight is possible at velocities exceeding light speed. In atmospheres, air friction is not a hindrance, since heat is either absorbed or reflected by the staff's field.
- Wormholes & Spacial Warps: The power staff grants its wearer access to wormholes in space, enabling the staff wielder to rapidly cut time and distance needed for transport.
- Time Travel: Time travel is possible with the staff, though the further forward in time a staff wielder travels, the more compassion it takes.
- Limited Cellular Regeneration: The staff has a limited ability to heal physical injuries.
- Electromagnetic Scanning: The staff has a wide range of detection abilities based on the imagination of the user. If one can conceive of it, he/she/it can probably detect it. Magical effects like clairvoyance, seem to be beyond the scope of the staff. Most normal electromagnetic phenomena are within the range of the ring, including radio, television, infrared, ultraviolet, and high frequency band communications.
- Universal Translator: The power staff can translate virtually any language in the universe, facilitating diplomatic encounters rather than violent confrontations.
- Staff Duplication: Most Power staffs are capable of automatically duplicating themselves. Each duplicate typically shares the qualities and capabilities of the original staff.
- Emergency Beacon: An Indigo Tribesman in distress can use his/her/its power staff as an emergency beacon. The alert can be directed to an Indigo Tribesman's neighboring sector, or it can be a Corps-wide alert.
- Homing Beacon: A homing beacon in the power staff can lead one Indigo Lantern to another.
- Security Protocol: The staffs can be programmed. They are coded to the wearer to make them unusable if stolen.
- Preset Conditions: Commands can be stored in the staff to be executed at a later date, even if the bearer is not holding the staff.
- Thought Relay: Otherwise known as a telepathic link.
- The Indigo Power Staff is unique to the Indigo Tribe, and always complements their Power Ring. More often than not, the Staff will be used to direrct the Indigo Light rather than the power ring.
- John Stewart customized his Power Staff to function as a Sniper Rifle as well as assume the functions of a Regular Power Staff.